Google Groups

kr402

Google Groups, has anyone here had experience with them?
I am asking because I am planning on moving a Ygroup
there that does not work to move to Groups.io

KR

Wes Chambers <muscleman.4me@...>

one of the groups i was a member of, moved to google for a year. i was
a moderator for this group, and the only problem we had with google,
is that you cannot edit a post. for example, if someone posted an
inappropriate pic or you wanted to correct a typo in a body of text,
there is no way to edit the post. you have to either approve the whole
post as is, or delete the whole post. since approx. 2011, google took
away the option of changing the group`s home page display pic. i do
not know if you add a pic to the group home page anymore, i just know
you cannot change it. hope this helps!! with love from Wes!! hugs!!!

On 8/11/16, kr402 via Groups.io <kr402@...> wrote:
Google Groups, has anyone here had experience with them?
I am asking because I am planning on moving a Ygroup
there that does not work to move to Groups.io
KR

Steve Hayes

On 10 Aug 2016 at 23:59, kr402 via Groups.io wrote:

Google Groups, has anyone here had experience with them?
I am asking because I am planning on moving a Ygroup
there that does not work to move to Groups.io
KR
Google Groups is much worse than Yahoo Groups.

--
Steve Hayes
E-mail: shayes@...

kr402

On Aug 11, 2016, at 8:17 AM, "Steve Hayes" <hayesstw@...> wrote:

Google Groups is much worse than Yahoo Groups.

Please explain.
What are the problems?

We can not holdout at Ygroups any longer,
because for weeks now posts are often delayed.
Another moderator summoned it up:
"Yahoo has become erratic, and it seems to have become
permanently that way. Something posted one minute may
go up immediately and something sent the next minute
may take days...or it may never get up at all."

KR

kr402

On Aug 11, 2016, at 12:05 AM, "Wes Chambers" <muscleman.4me@...> wrote:

one of the groups i was a member of, moved to google for a year.
i was a moderator for this group, and the only problem we had with google, is that you cannot edit a post. for example, if someone posted an inappropriate pic or you wanted to correct a typo in a body of text, there is no way to edit the post.

Ok, not the end of the world.
After all the issues with Ygroups my expectations are not that high.
I do not think anything else will ever compare to what Ygroups was accept for maybe groups.io, which does not meet the needs for our group.

since approx. 2011, google took away the option of changing the group`s home page display pic. i do not know if you add a pic to
the group home page anymore, i just know you cannot change it.

interesting.
We do currently have a picture on the homepage, but we all
know what a disaster it was when Yahelloooo! replaced those
photos with generic ones.

hope this helps!!

thanks!

features looking for:
files, photos, database, attachments
Does Google have those?
I can not find anywhere that list their
features like groups.io does.

Can you transfer a Ygroup to Google groups?
If you can what does that include, the member
list, posts archives, files, etc?

KR

Laura Smith

Google groups is just a mail list. There is no real home page or any features except the discussions. For document sharing, you would use Google Drive (docs, sheets, slides, etc). There is no database.

My assumption with Google Is that they want you to use their other apps in order to get functionality. So if you want your group to have a home page, you'd most likely need to set it up in Google Sites and have a link to the Group for messaging.

I do use Google Groups, but it is strictly used as a Listserv where the individuals who are members never go to the group for anything. I'm one of the few people that accesses the group online and it's so that I can manage members. I have not seen a way to import users. You have the option of sending an invite or directly adding members (entering a list that is comma separated). When directly adding, there is a limit to the number that can be added at once. If you exceed that limit, it will not add them. This was not posted anywhere, but we discovered it when we were adding a group of users.

Hope this helps.

Laura

Sent from my iPhone

On 11 Aug 2016 at 8:52, kr402 via Groups.io wrote:

On Aug 11, 2016, at 8:17 AM, "Steve Hayes" <hayesstw@...> wrote:

Google Groups is much worse than Yahoo Groups.
Please explain.
What are the problems?
Many of them are gated to/from NNTP newsgroups, and Google have "improved"
their editor by using non-standard formatting and so making messages
unreadable.

YahooGroups still allow photos, dastabases and other additional services,
whereas in GoogleGroups thase have been split off into other separate
services.

--
Steve Hayes
E-mail: shayes@...
Blog: http://khanya.wordpress.com
Phone: 083-342-3563 or 012-333-6727
Fax: 086-548-2525

kr402

On Aug 11, 2016, at 11:51 AM, "Steve Hayes" <hayesstw@...> wrote:

Steve, thanks for explaining.

Many of them are gated to/from NNTP newsgroups,
we would not be using a newsgroup.
we need a place to post like you do at yahoo or groups.io,
where you can post and read from the group or mail.

Google have "improved" their editor by using non-standard formatting and so making messages unreadable.
Messages can not be read on the group site?
Can you read them in mail?

Maybe this is the kind of things we could find
out with a test site before moving the group.

YahooGroups still allow photos, dastabases and other
additional services, whereas in GoogleGroups thase
have been split off into other separate services.
I did not realize this but it is exactly what I needed to find out. Thanks!

Unfortunately many of these features do not work properly
anymore at YahooGroups; eg, databases. However, we have managed to live with it. It is the fact that we can no longer rely
on posts to arrive (without them there is no group) that we are looking to move the group.

Does anyone know of any other free groups that is similar to
YahooGroups or groups.io, (where I wish we could move the
group)? I have not been able to find a suitable place in the past
and when the owner recently asked where we could move to
all I could think of was Google. However, I have never been a
big fan of Google and have never got use to gmail that I setup
as an alternative to ymail.

KR

Steve Hayes

On 11 Aug 2016 at 12:56, kr402 via Groups.io wrote:

On Aug 11, 2016, at 11:51 AM, "Steve Hayes" <hayesstw@...> wrote:

Steve, thanks for explaining.

Many of them are gated to/from NNTP newsgroups,
we would not be using a newsgroup.
we need a place to post like you do at yahoo or groups.io,
where you can post and read from the group or mail.

Google have "improved" their editor by using non-standard formatting and so
making messages unreadable.
Messages can not be read on the group site?
Can you read them in mail?

Maybe this is the kind of things we could find
out with a test site before moving the group.

YahooGroups still allow photos, dastabases and other
additional services, whereas in GoogleGroups thase
have been split off into other separate services.
I did not realize this but it is exactly what I needed to find out. Thanks!
Like YahooGroups, Google groups made their web interface much more difficult
to use, with reduced functionality.

Because of the outcry, Yahoo have restored some (but not all) of the old
functionality, but Google Groups haven't.

Yahoo have also severely reduced the functionality of their mail program, and
I understand that if people use it to post to mailing lists the messages are
sent as attachments and are often unreadable. I stopped using Yahoo mail
altogether because it was so difficult to use. I look at my Yahoo mail
account (when I remember) about once every 3 months, just in case there are
one or two genuine messages there among the spam. If there are, I forward
them to my regular email address to read and reply, because replying in Yahoo
mail is impossible.

Unfortunately many of these features do not work properly
anymore at YahooGroups; eg, databases. However, we have managed to live with
it. It is the fact that we can no longer rely on posts to arrive (without them
there is no group) that we are looking to move the group.

Does anyone know of any other free groups that is similar to
YahooGroups or groups.io, (where I wish we could move the
group)? I have not been able to find a suitable place in the past
and when the owner recently asked where we could move to
all I could think of was Google. However, I have never been a
big fan of Google and have never got use to gmail that I setup
as an alternative to ymail.
I thought that was what Groups IO was for?

--
Steve Hayes
E-mail: shayes@...
Blog: http://khanya.wordpress.com
Phone: 083-342-3563 or 012-333-6727
Fax: 086-548-2525

mike bader

I changed the picture on all of my groups.
If they took that away it must have been recently.
Mine are still there.

On 8/11/2016 12:20 PM, kr402 via Groups.io wrote:

[...]

hey Mike, i didn`t mean to say they took away the home page pics, i
meant to say that they took away the option of changing the home page
pic. so what ever you chose for your home page pic, is now permanent.
you`re stuck with it for life. '

we used to change our display pic every month. for the year we were at
google, but not too long after we came back to yahoo, back in the day,
when yahoo was still fun for running a yahoo group, google announced
that they were no longer allowing google groups the option of changing
the group home page pics. i hope this explains it a little better!!
with love from Wes!! hugs!!!

On Aug 11, 2016, at 12:05 AM, "Wes Chambers" > > wrote:

[...]

I think you can still change it
I still get an option to change it

On 8/12/16, mike bader  wrote:
[...]

Mike, this was regarding Google Groups, not Ygroups.

KR

On Aug 12, 2016, at 6:27 PM, "mike bader" <mdbader@...> wrote:

I think you can still change it
I still get an option to change it

Wes Chambers <muscleman.4me@...>

i wasn`t talking about yahoo group`s. i was talking about google
groups. with love from Wes!! hugs!!!

On 12 Aug 2016 at 21:32, Wes Chambers wrote:

i wasn`t talking about yahoo group`s. i was talking about google
groups. with love from Wes!! hugs!!!
If *all* you want is a mailing list, GoogleGroups works OK.

--
Steve Hayes
E-mail: shayes@...
Blog: http://khanya.wordpress.com
Phone: 083-342-3563 or 012-333-6727
Fax: 086-548-2525

Nightowl >8#

kr402 wrote:>>Does anyone know of any other free groups that is similar to YahooGroups or groups.io, (where I wish we could move the group)? I have not been able to find a suitable place in the past and when the owner recently asked where we could move to all I could think of was Google.<<

KR, there is a list on the blog of other locations. It hasn't been updated in awhile, but you can check them out. The biggest drawback I had with finding a new location for Yahoo users was needing a database. If you don't need a database, it might not be as hard.

Here's the URL for the list of groups:
https://modsandmembersblog.wordpress.com/alternative-sites/

The link to view the table doesn't work, but everything else should, unless the group site has disappeared since December of 2015.

Hope this helps,

Brenda