Okay, Here's an update on the situation

Nightowl >8#

Hey all, it's Nightowl

Haven't been in here in forever. Man.
Anyway, here is what I know, and what I'm guessing about also:

Some posts have been coming through to Yahoo Groups today on the site. However, not all posts are doing that. So if you post something to Mods&Members on Yahoo, keep it in mind that it may not show up.

I was concerned that in doing whatever they are trying to do, they broke the mailing list part of the groups, and I'm still not convinced they didn't mess it up in some way. So Yahoo posts at this time are not trustworthy, not even through e-mail, because they haven't shown up for me either.

I've been doing everything I can to get Verizon's attention. I even finally got some phone numbers to call the executives with, and left a message at one today, and will call some more tomorrow. I've been tweeting in moderation, and e-mailing everyone I can.

I did get a response from a Yahoo Help person, but she was no help whatsoever. I am going to continue to do my best to get through to Verizon.

Meanwhile, our story broke on the London Telegraph.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2019/10/28/internet-activists-fighting-save-yahoo-groups/

I was unaware that you had to create a free account to read it, I'm sorry. However, I cannot post it here or otherwise distribute it, because that is a copyright violation. And I expect all of you to abide by that as well and not post it in here or anywhere else related to this group and myself.

If you want to read it, the free account only asks for a e-mail address and password. No other personal information. So you can use a throwaway account, (i.e. one you aren't protective of), if you want to view it.

Here's where I'm supposed to say hang in there, it's not over yet. And I'm still going to say it, but we all know that it's more serious than it's ever been before. And I could really use your help. So I plan to post a list of articles on Yahoo that have been published. And if you can either comment on the article, tweet the author, or otherwise contact the site, that would be very helpful.

You can give them the shortlink to the blog: wp.me/p3ZMb6-C1

or the shortlink to the story: tinyurl.com/yymo4guk

or just tell them what is happening. The main thing we are asking for is MORE TIME. We cannot rescue all of this in the time they have given us. It's become too expensive for many, Mark is overwhelmed, and I'm not even sure the Yahoo group site will hold up for him to even finish what he has already started.

So with that, I'm going to sign off here tonight. I have a lot of things to handle with my very ill Mom tomorrow, so I might not be here all day, but I will get to everyone when I get home.

One other thought...my cohort in Yahoo crusading, Tyger, has not responded since the wildfires in California started in his area. I'm praying that he just doesn't have any power, and that he is ok. But additional prayers for his safety, and everyone else in the path of these fires, would be welcome.

Thanks,

Nightowl >8#
Owner/Moderator of MM Sanctuary

Steve Hayes

On 28 Oct 2019 at 22:56, Nightowl 8# wrote:

I was concerned that in doing whatever they are trying to do, they broke
the mailing list part of the groups, and I'm still not convinced they
didn't mess it up in some way. So Yahoo posts at this time are not
trustworthy, not even through e-mail, because they haven't shown up for me
either.
Some messages I sent were delayed 24 hours, others do not seem to have got
through at all.

Many of the groups I was involved with have moved to groups.io

--
Steve Hayes
E-mail: shayes@dunelm.org.uk

tom.blackwell@...

I'm a stockholder in Verizon. I expect to try to contact their executives, also. Tell me what you suggest I say, that you believe will be the most effective.

Nightowl >8#

Wow! Thanks Tom!!

Okay, uh lets see.

I've been sending out a specific message, I can post it here, and you can either summarize it, or send it verbatim. The main thing is to get them to understand what they are deleting, and how useful the groups content is to many thousands of users. I honestly don't think they, or anyone else outside of Y groups has any idea what they are about to destroy.

There are several examples below in my messages with thousands of users that would be a good start. The UK phone company, that is going to lose their phone database they've been assigning phone numbers on is one serious issue.

Here's the message I've been using to e-mail people at Verizon:

We need your help! @Verizon could be our hero after all these years! Please do not destroy our Yahoo Group Archives? We haven't been able to save them yet. There are thousands of us still on the broken platform that Yahoo trapped us in, trying to save our content and function best as we can.

There is a Yahoo group in the UK that manages phone numbers that is freaking out. There's another one in Washington DC that manages a huge listserv with over 1,800 members. There's a birding group with 10,000 members, and an adoption group with decades of history saved there.

If you could please talk to us, we can hopefully work something out. If we can't keep them the way they are, could you at least give us more time? Yahoo broke our groups, making it almost impossible for us to rescue our archives, but you could be our Hero!

https://modsandmembersblog.wordpress.com/2019/10/22/verizon-dont-bulldoze-our-homes/

Nightowl >8#
Owner/Moderator of Yahoo Group Mods And Members
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/modsandmembers/conversations/messages/13958
Owner Of The Yahoo Users Crusade Blog
https://modsandmembersblog.wordpress.com/about/
Another message I've used to contact the media is below:

I'm Nightowl >8#
I'm the head of the Yahoo Users Crusade Headquarters.

In 2010 I managed to help save and preserve our Classic Yahoo Groups.

Since 2013 I've been fighting their attempted destruction of those same treasured groups. We are not a trivial bunch of groups. Businesses use them, including a UK Phone company, and a Washington DC listserv.

Services are offered on them, support groups, historical research, Family records and so much more.

You can read more about the way they are used here:
https://modsandmembersblog.wordpress.com/index/

Now we are desperate. We are running out of time to ever save our precious content. Yahoo has never made it easy to rescue it, and has in fact, recently made it increasingly harder and harder. There is no easy way to rescue and save our content.

https://modsandmembersblog.wordpress.com/2019/10/17/if-you-want-to-save-your-yahoo-group-read-this/#comm

One site, groupsio, who is run by Mark Fletcher, creator of the original Onelist, is able to do it, but it costs users money, and even if he's paid, he'll never have enough time to rescue everyone's content before Dec 14.

Now we are at a place where it's now or never. We need someone to help us get our plight out to the public, so Verizon and Yahoo will know we are STILL HERE.

We have amassed information on our Yahoo Users Crusade Headquarters Blog that was first created in 2013. I have recently updated it for the Press:
https://modsandmembersblog.wordpress.com/for-the-press-2/

We are hoping that journalists like you, can get our site noticed. If we can't keep our groups, we are at least desperately trying to get more time, because there is no way the bulk of groups users can get it all rescued by December.

Please help us? Please check out our blog? Please tell the world what they are about to do to us?

This is our last hope. Please help us get our story out into the media so we will no longer be the forgotten users?

Appreciate any help you can give us.

Nightowl >8#
Owner/Moderator of Yahoo Group Mods And Members
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/modsandmembers/conversations/messages/13958
Owner Of The Yahoo Users Crusade Blog
https://modsandmembersblog.wordpress.com/about/

Tom, if you can get anyone to talk to me, I will happily talk to them on the phone, online, or whatever they will agree to. I have to go out awhile today, but I'll be back. Feel free to use anything I wrote above or anything else on the blog when contacting them.

They can contact me at:
owlsy@yahoo.com or
tweet me at @featheredleader

Thanks!

Nightowl >8#

tom.blackwell@...

Edited

Where are you located?

Send me your phone number. I may want to reach you on the phone before I proceed. Send it to me by regular EMail at tom.blackwell@...

I am in Dallas, Texas

I am a beginner with groups.io and do not know all the controls here yet. What I have now should show you my full Email address.