Attention Duane, Shal, Tyger? Help?

Nightowl >8#

Duane wrote:>>(blank) follows the group setting, moderated or unmoderated
NuM is for moderating new members. Setting/enabling the Unmoderate After x Posts is optional.
M means a person is always Moderated, regardless of the group setting.
P means a person is never moderated, regardless of the group setting.
NP means a person is never allowed to post.

If your group isn't moderated except for new users, as it sounds, then I'd use the Default Group Policy for that person. No marking and they can always post unless you put the entire group on moderated status, such as when a flame war breaks out or another extreme situation. If you leave them at P, they can post even if the group is changed to moderated. I would never set anyone to P except possibly myself or a trusted moderator.<<

Help me understand this, because in MM we always overrode, since the default was always moderated...and whenever there was a flame issue, I simply put the offenders on moderation, not the whole group.

I don't think I ever fully understood this until now, and I'm awfully confused, so someone help me figure this out ok?

BTW I never send Special Notices, but Duane, I noticed you are on only that, so I checked it for now...but I need to talk to you here if possible, for awhile, and may forget to check it. So could you change it to mail for now? If not, we'll work something else out.

Brenda

Brenda,

Help me understand this, because in MM we always overrode, since the
default was always moderated...
I replied more fully in beta@, but this is the key fact:

MM's default is set to "Moderated for new members" - which implies a default of unmoderated for everyone else. Only the "Moderated" setting makes the default moderated.

and whenever there was a flame issue, I simply put the offenders on
moderation, not the whole group.
Which is all you could do, given that you had set most "cleared" members to override the group's default.

I don't think I ever fully understood this until now, and I'm awfully
confused, so someone help me figure this out ok?
Sure, ask away. Here or GMF@ would be fine (I think of GMF@ because others may have the same question).

-- Shal
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum

Nightowl >8#

Shal wrote:>> Sure, ask away. Here or GMF@ would be fine (I think of GMF@ because others may have the same question).<<

My biggest concern is trying to keep up with another group on here, but I suppose I could join your GMF and try.

My other concern is that I'll look like an idiot, because I don't know what I'm doing on here yet. But I never claimed to be a techie Owl.

I need to be able to tell people how to easily join a group, though, and I don't even know how, so maybe tonight John can help me join your GMF group and I can learn how.

To invite some friends here who aren't on Yahoo, I need to know how to explain things to them, and I already had problems with David on Hollow Tree trying to join that...I wish you could read his issue, hmmm maybe I can repaste it on here? Do I need to ask him if I can re-post his issue?

Brenda

Brenda,

My biggest concern is trying to keep up with another group on here, but
I suppose I could join your GMF and try.
So far for January we've had 11 messages, or about 1.5 per day. Though I do expect it to pick up eventually.

Yes, but that's exactly who GMF@ is for - those who need help and those who can give it.

I need to be able to tell people how to easily join a group, though, and
I don't even know how, so maybe tonight John can help me join your GMF
group and I can learn how.
Mark's "Early 2016 Roadmap" includes "Work on some of the issues discussed over the past two weeks, including invite and join flows ..." so be aware that there may be changes afoot. You might not want to put too much effort into writing down the details unless you want to help him by posting in beta@ your observations about the process.
https://groups.io/g/beta/message/4759

Do I need to ask him if I can re-post his issue?
Only if you think he might not want you to. Like, if it has his email address or other personal details.

-- Shal

Nightowl >8#

Okay, I joined GMF and am awaiting an invitation to Test group, so I can see how that works.

I'll post the issue from David in GMF.

Thanks,

Brenda