Topics

Closure of Rootsweb genealogy mailing lists

Steve Hayes

Following the Yahoo! closure another large public provider of mailing list
servers is closing -- Rootsweb, which had operarted mailing lists for
genealogists for about 30 years.

I searched in vain for a public announcement or news report about the
closure of the Rootsweb genealogy mailing lists. It is being done almost
secretively. Members of lists without active moderators who pass on the
information will find themselves cut off without knowing why.

I've therefore written a blog post, giving as much information as I have at
the moment, to try to let people know what is happening.

https://t.co/8Bhy5ya5AQ

Please help to let people know what is happening by posting links to that
post (and any news items you may find) on social media sites like Twitter,
Facebook etc, genealogy forums etc.

--
Keep well,
Steve Hayes

Steve Hayes

On 12 Jan 2020 at 14:55, Steve Hayes wrote:

I've therefore written a blog post, giving as much information as I have
at the moment, to try to let people know what is happening.

https://t.co/8Bhy5ya5AQ

Please help to let people know what is happening by posting links to that post
(and any news items you may find) on social media sites like Twitter, Facebook
etc, genealogy forums etc.
I may add what whenever I've seen Nightowl's tweets on this topic, I have
tried to retweet them, but it seems that very few other people do. It often
seems that mine is the only retweet, and so there is very little support.

--
Steve Hayes
E-mail: shayes@...

David Halfpenny

On 12 Jan 2020, at 13:26, Steve Hayes <hayesstw@...> wrote:

whenever I've seen Nightowl's tweets on this topic, I have
tried to retweet them, but it seems that very few other people do. It often
seems that mine is the only retweet, and so there is very little support.

Fair point, Steve.
My excuse is a Twitter Stalker, I’m afraid, who might make matters worse.

David

Kat/Selina

Oh no! Im sorry to hear that Rootsweb is closing.  And of course, its another thing that seemed to have started as being owned by one or two people...but is now in the possession of a corporate entity.  Ancestry.com has had its share of privacy issues, so the cynical side of me wants to think "Well, they had no problem sharing people's genetics information with the FBI, so they shouldnt be too concerned about the archivists that might want to save the content."

While I have been working on Owl's website, and did help the Yahoo archivists a bit, I would be open to seeing if anything can be done to get the word out about Rootsweb.  Might have to do the same thing of tracking down Rootsweb/Ancestry's media contacts and stockholders.  I admit, I tried to write the contacts on Verizon but they seemed to not pay me any mind. I could hope that maybe the folks at Ancestry might be pressed to do something, especially if you out this secretive move to shut down.  Wondering if the Archive Team can help

Steve Hayes

On 12 Jan 2020 at 8:17, Kat/Selina via Groups.Io wrote:

Oh no! Im sorry to hear that Rootsweb is closing.  And of course, its another
thing that seemed to have started as being owned by one or two people...but is
now in the possession of a corporate entity.  Ancestry.com has had its share
of privacy issues, so the cynical side of me wants to think "Well, they had no
problem sharing people's genetics information with the FBI, so they shouldnt
be too concerned about the archivists that might want to save the content."
Rootsweb was initially a purely voluntary effort, but proved too much for
amateurs to handle, so they arranged for ancestry.com to ruin the servers on
condition that it remained free. That suited Ancestry at the time, because it
exposed a lot more potential customers to their site. But you can join a
mailing list without ever visiting the site. So over the last couple of years
they've neglected it, let it slip, with frequent outages, and it was probably
seeing Yahoo! get away with it that finally decided them to pull the plug.

There was no real public or news announcement about it, which is why few
people have heard what has happened, and that;s why I'm asking people to help
make it more visible on social media.

There has been as suggestion that FamilySearch should be persuaded to take it
over, but if no one asks them that won't happen.

--
Keep well,
Steve Hayes
Blog: http://hayesgreene.wordpress.com
Web: http://www.khanya.org.za/famhist1.htm
E-mail: shayes@...

Kat/Selina

I share the same scenario as one of the other users (re: not having a public facing Twitter acct).  So, I havent been able to sound the alarm on there. For the heck of it, I did see what would turn up for "rootsweb" in a Twitter search.  Shal's article shows up often, but here are a few more

https://www.gouldgenealogy.com/2017/10/rootsweb-discontinues-features/#.XhtVxQkfMEU.twitter

I did see that, privacy scandals be damned, there is talk that suggests Facebook is the first solution people are thinking of:

@DebbieKennett
The end of an era. The Rootsweb mailing lists will be discontinued from 2nd March 2020. I learnt so much from fellow genealogists on these lists when I first started my family history research. All the conversations have now moved to Facebook and the lists are rarely used.