Topics

groups.io alternative

FE Baxter

Help. Is groups.io changing their price plan? I had not followed that info. I will search for that info but would appreciate any direction or pointers.  I am whelmed with all the admin activities. We are an all volunteer animal rescue group and have little time or patience for tech surprises.  I guess I am still angry with what Verizon is doing to Yahoo groups.

FE,

Is groups.io changing their price plan?
They changed it a year ago. But a lot of groups that paid for a year of Premium now have plan expiration dates coming up soon.

The good news is that those groups can renew for another year at the same price. But if they let their plan expire or switch to a monthly plan they'll see the new pricing.
https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/22528
https://groups.io/static/pricing

I guess I am still angry with what Verizon is doing to Yahoo groups.
You've got plenty of company on that opinion. Many people thought that the removal of web features (last year's October Surprise) signaled the inevitability of complete closure. I wasn't so sure at the time, but those people turned out to be right, even if it took Yahoo/Verizon a year to get around to it.

Shal

Joan nyc/az.

pretty soon you can't write to each other on yahoo. they are stopping this too.

Joan

ps I have now been on fb for 8 yrs. Glad I went there, since yahoo made new announcements saying this too will close.

I could never ran a support group on yahoo using this email only crap.

I might never see or hear from you all.  Good luck, I wish you all the best.

Fb groups have files, and photo , and more and free.

Joan

kr402

Joan,

You mean the closing of Yahoo! Groups in December?
Or do you mean they're also going to close Yahoo! Email?

KR

On Sunday, October 18, 2020, 9:18 AM, Joan nyc/az. via groups.io <joan85032@...> wrote:

pretty soon you can't write to each other on yahoo. they are stopping this too.

Steve Hayes

On 18 Oct 2020 at 16:17, Joan nyc/az. via groups.io wrote:

pretty soon you can't write to each other on yahoo. they are stopping this
too.  Joan  ps I have now been on fb for 8 yrs. Glad I went there, since
yahoo made new announcements saying this too will close. I could never ran a
support group on yahoo using this email only crap.  I might never see or hear
from you all.  Good luck, I wish you all the best. Fb groups have files, and
photo , and more and free.    Joan
\
But FB runs a lottery of which posts you see and which you don't. Unless you
"like" every post you'll miss a lot.

--
Steve Hayes
E-mail: shayes@...

Joan nyc/az.

normal email should work. but groups emails we are now sending back and forth, will be shut down.

Joan

Joan nyc/az.

they will stop this group, email too.  I am trying to find the notice.  No one else got one?

Joan

Diane Arthurs

Steve, thanks for this information. I had suspected fb was doing something
like this. The problem is, when people "like" something I post, every like
shows up in my notifications. Of course I don't have to look at which of my
posts they like, but it's still a nuisance to see a long list of
notifications with a lot of them being likes.
Diane in Canada

........But FB runs a lottery of which posts you see and which you don't.
Unless you
"like" every post you'll miss a lot.

David Halfpenny

On 18 Oct 2020, at 18:24, Joan nyc/az. via groups.io <joan85032@...> wrote:

they will stop this group, email too.

Joan, this is Groups.io, not the Yahoo Group.

I am trying to find the notice.  No one else got one?

Joan

Joan nyc/az.

this is the first time in a long time, I saw email from the IO. group.

Ignore my saying this is stopping.  I am sorry.

I am referring to Yahoo. emails as groups, will stop.
forgive me everyone.

Joan,

I am trying to find the notice.
There's a help page about it:
https://help.yahoo.com/kb/groups/SLN35505.html

There's a copy of the email here:
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/message/34171

Shal

David Halfpenny

We understood you Joan ;-)  David

On 18 Oct 2020, at 19:14, Joan nyc/az. via groups.io <joan85032@...> wrote:

this is the first time in a long time, I saw email from the IO. group.

Ignore my saying this is stopping.  I am sorry.

I am referring to Yahoo. emails as groups, will stop.
forgive me everyone.

silliman72

.> But FB runs a lottery of which posts you see and which you don't.
Unless you "like" every post you'll miss a lot.

Facebook does not fail to show you messages in your group.
If you are a member of a group, you will see all posts.

David Halfpenny

On 18 Oct 2020, at 20:15, silliman72 <silliman72@...> wrote:

.> But FB runs a lottery of which posts you see and which you don't.
Unless you "like" every post you'll miss a lot.

Facebook does not fail to show you messages in your group.
If you are a member of a group, you will see all posts.

Yes, but only ONLINE.

I am Not going to spend all my time watching Facebook, so I depend on email Notifications to tell me there’s activity I might want to watch.

On a busy FB Group, I only get email Notifications for a small computer-selected fraction of the messages. So if Liking threads gets me a better selection of Notifications, I shall give it a try.

David 1/2d

kr402

Yes, they're completely shutting down Yahoo! Groups.

For my small group we just email all, but that wouldn't work for most groups.
Plus it means you don't have files etc, which you could find somewhere else for that service.

If they ever decide to stop Yahoo! email I personally will have a problem as I use them for my main email.

KR

On 18 Oct 2020, at 21:21, kr402 via groups.io <kr402@...> wrote:

If they ever decide to stop Yahoo! email I personally will have a problem as I use them for my main email.

I don’t mind changing from YahooMail to another email provider, but I would like advice on how to Save all my old yahoo messages in searchable form.
I use an Email Client, and think I have them all on my computer, but I’m not certain.

David 1/2d

Nightowl >8#

Joan wrote:>> pretty soon you can't write to each other on yahoo. they are stopping this too.<<

Joan, No one has said Yahoo mail is ending. As far as I know, it's staying active.

Joan wrote:>> ps I have now been on fb for 8 yrs. Glad I went there, since yahoo made new announcements saying this too will close....I might never see or hear from you all. Good luck, I wish you all the best.<<

Joan, you are not in a Yahoo group here. This is groups.io MM Sanctuary. I used to mix the two groups (MM and MM Sanctuary), up also, but this group where you are posting is not Yahoo, and this group is staying put. So as long as you stay in THIS groups.io group, you'll always be in touch with us. Ok?

Owner Moderator

David,

I use an Email Client, and /think/ I have them all on my computer,
but I’m not certain.
It depends on how your email client is configured.

If you use the IMAP protocol to connect your client to your email service, then your Inbox is on their servers. Other folders can be created either on their servers on your computer. You can manually copy or move messages between folders (server and local) or set up filters to do that.

Additionally, for your Inbox (and any server folders) you can configure your client to keep a local copy of the folder, for use if/when you have no internet connection. This can be convenient while traveling, but it does cost storage space and some extra transmission & compute time to keep the local copy up to date.

If you use the POP protocol [shudder] your client would normally be configured to download messages to a local Inbox and delete them from the server when downloaded. Consider switching to IMAP to get a richer experience, including the abilities below.

I don’t mind changing from YahooMail to another email provider, but I
would like advice on how to Save all my old yahoo messages in
searchable form.
An IMAP client makes a good tool, both for copying messages from your old service to your new one and for searching your messages.

I use Thunderbird to move messages directly between my personal Gmail address and my work email (on Dreamhost) - Thunderbird has the folders of both open and it is as simple as dragging a message from one service's inbox to the other.

I may be spoiled by my use of Eudora and Thunderbird, but I expect an email client to have very facile search capabilities built-in. Far better than having the messages in some other format and trying to use grep, finder, explorer, or other generic search tool.

Shal

Nightowl >8#

Joan wrote:>>they will stop this group, email too.<<

To clarify again, this group is NOT Yahoo and it will NOT stop. Mods and Members, which is on Yahoo is going to go away, but all the archives and posts are here in this group's subgroup.

Only Yahoo is going away. Groups io is here to stay. ;)

Joan wrote:>>this is the first time in a long time, I saw email from the IO. group.  Ignore my saying this is stopping.  I am sorry. I am referring to Yahoo. emails as groups, will stop.  forgive me everyone.<<

Hon, nothing to forgive. I haven't been in here in months due to my Mom dying in January. The only reason this kicked up is because of the announcement that Yahoo Groups are closing. People are coming in here from, Mods and Members because they know this is where to go.

You just sounded so stressed I wanted to make sure you knew there are two separate groups for the same purpose, one here and one on Yahoo.

Take care,

Brenda