I went to the ER...

Nightowl >8#

Well, I was right about being at my stress limit, and had no idea how right I was.

Around 9 a.m. Monday morning, after another family incident where they failed to give me info in time to arrange transportation for an appt. for Dad, I had a sudden pain in my chest, and it went all the way around my body. It was a squeezing pain, and although I was pretty sure it wasn't a heart attack, because my pulse and oxygen were okay, nothing I did would make it stop.

I tried Ben Gay, Nope. I tried an antacid, nope. I tried heat, nope. I tried a dicyclomine, (my muscle relaxer), nope. Finally, after it had been going on for over 2 hours, at 11:30 a.m., I called my doctor. She said to go to the ER. So John told work, and took me.

They got to me fast, and ruled out a heart attack, which was a huge relief, because I had been starting to wonder. But the pain was beyond my help, it was out of my control to stop, and they said they could give me an injection. Now those who know me, know I hate shots and needles, but I told them if it would help this pain, give me the injection. In fact, I begged for it.

The injection helped, and things calmed down, but it took awhile. My breathing had been all over the map and my BP was all over the map as well. But it finally eased most of the way, and they released me around 3:30 p.m. or so.

What was it? It was diagnosed as an anxiety attack. Yep. I went to the ER for a severe anxiety attack.

What a wake up call. I have never been so scared in my life. I was scared of the pain, scared of being in the ER, scared they might admit me, and scared of what they might find. They did all the tests and blood work, and my heart was just fine. Whew. But I don't ever want to go through that again.

So it's time to back off from some of the things that I handle for my family. And one of those worst possible things is arranging off-site appointments for Dad, coordinating info with my brother and Mom, or trying to make Mom make doctor appts and get rides for them.

I don't mind just keeping track of the appointments, as I make a calendar for Mom and I, but I am out of the pushing Mom or arranging transportation or appts for now. I clearly can't handle it with everything else happening to me lately.

I took a Xanax Monday night, and in the morning the pain was finally gone. I haven't felt 100%, that's for sure, but I'm a lot better than I was Monday. I need to sit down with John, or Chris, or someone, and make a new plan for what I can and can't handle.

One thing I can't handle is Mom's indecision about everything. She won't decide what to do or not to do, and that affects my schedule and our plans. She says she doesn't want to make decisions, but she also doesn't want them made for her. Well, she has to choose one of the two, don't you think?

Anyway...I'm off Mom & Dad duty for the time being, and will see my regular doctor tomorrow at 1:15 p.m. I'll let you know what she says, although I probably can guess. ;)

Thanks for all your support,

Brenda