From: "Delainey Owen via Groups.Io" <doranwen@...>
To: main@MMsanctuary.groups.io
Subject: [sanctuary] Yahoo groups blowing up as predicted
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2020 14:20:16 -0800

One of the groups I'm saving has about a dozen people trying to unsubscribe by hitting Reply All, and at least two who are being rude to the point of profanity and cursing at others (including the group owner, which they were blaming for not blocking the emails flooding their inbox), because in at least one of the cases their email provider threatened to lock their account because of the "unusually high volume of spam".  Someone did send an email detailing how to unsubscribe via email, but most clearly did not read it carefully (as evidenced by their emails to the whole group saying "please unsubscribe"), and one who did follow it said it wasn't working - they were still subscribed.  (I'm at the point of just rolling my eyes at Verizon/Yahoo; their incompetence is stunning in its breadth and depth.)

Delainey Owen

On Mon, Jan 20, 2020 at 02:42 PM, noahddark@... wrote:
I say let them figure it out for themselves, & place them on moderation if they are being rude to the rest of the group.
I'm not the owner or a mod, no idea what tools Yahoo's left them with.  I think the mods were trying to get a group set up here so they could at least invite members over.  I've not really had time to follow it as we (the fandom rescue project) are still trying to save data from what groups we can via the GMD.

I can't see how to get new applicants to write something to me before I approve them.  My group is for emotional support for people who were abused by their parents.  So we deal with very personal, sensitive issues & are restricted.  I need to be able to have some control over who can join, before I let them in.  Can anyone advise?
I hope someone else has some wisdom here - I've barely had a chance to look at this site so far.

Doranwen

From: "Delainey Owen via Groups.Io" <doranwen=yahoo.com@groups.io>
To: main@MMsanctuary.groups.io
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2020 14:20:16 -0800

One of the groups I'm saving has about a dozen people trying to unsubscribe by hitting Reply All, and at least two who are being rude to the point of profanity and cursing at others (including the group owner, which they were blaming for not blocking the emails flooding their inbox), because in at least one of the cases their email provider threatened to lock their account because of the "unusually high volume of spam".  Someone did send an email detailing how to unsubscribe via email, but most clearly did not read it carefully (as evidenced by their emails to the whole group saying "please unsubscribe"), and one who did follow it said it wasn't working - they were still subscribed.  (I'm at the point of just rolling my eyes at Verizon/Yahoo; their incompetence is stunning in its breadth and depth.)

David Halfpenny

On 20 Jan 2020, at 22:40, noahddark@... wrote:

But the most concerning problem I am having right now, is that I can't see how to get new applicants to write something to me before I approve them.  My group is for emotional support for people who were abused by their parents.  So we deal with very personal, sensitive issues & are restricted.  I need to be able to have some control over who can join, before I let them in.  Can anyone advise?

I have this problem too, Donna, especially on a group with comparable sensitivities.

Furthermore, I have Problem Owners who simply approve people willy-nilly.

Taking the two together, my best tactic so far is to Refuse all applicants, asking them to email me with qualifying information to receive an Invitation.

But given that some applicants are in deep distress and might not handle what looks like a bureaucratic rebuff, I too would prefer Groups.io to have a feature comparable with Yahoo’s Comment to Owner field.
Maybe it’s already there and I’ve missed it?

David

Rick Nakroshis <ricknak@...>

As far as I'm concerned, there really isn't anything on Yahoo Groups worth sticking around for.

Rick

On 20 Jan 2020, at 23:02, Rick Nakroshis <ricknak@...> wrote:

As far as validating new subscribers go, that's another can-do-easy. In your new Groups.io group, go to Admin | Settings | Member Notices.  Draft a generic message that you want to be sent out to new applicants, and create a 'Pending Subscription' notice. In the message, tell the new applicant what info they need to respond with to be admitted to the group.

While you're at it, draft a 'Welcome Messager' notice that gets sent out when someone joins the group.   The 'Monthly Reminder' notice is useful for periodically sending the group rules.  The 'Group Guidelines' notice is also useful.

Does that help?

It helps, Rick, thanks.
Would you recommend telling applicants to reply to the Moderator address?
(And telling the Moderators not to Approve anyone until they see that response.)

David

I can't see how to get new applicants to write something to me before I approve them.

Can anyone advise?  Donna

Rick,

That's just step 1.

Always remind people to watch for and reply to the confirmation request email from Yahoo (Step 2) or else the unsubscribe won't happen.

I think many people don't realize that there is a step 2, and then complain that the unsubscribe is broken. In some cases they might not notice the confirmation request, or it may have been misdelivered to their Spam folder, or maybe their email service rejected it. Whatever the reason, unsubscribe won't work without completing step 2.

Shal

Nightowl >8#

Donna,

The biggest problem is that Verizon took away the controls, so we can't put anyone on moderation anymore.

Joan nyc/az.

I hope all my members came to the other group I started.  Some asked to join my group, all I could do was approve or not.    this is a dead issue.  They dont' care.    I gave up a long time ago, and glad i started group on fb.   Been there for 8 yrs now.  Sad time, that yahoo won awards for their groups, and financial reporting, etc.

Sincerely,
Joan
nyc/phx.az

For adoptees/parents/Siblings searching:

On Monday, January 20, 2020, 07:29:50 PM MST, Nightowl >8# <featheredleader@...> wrote:

Donna,

The biggest problem is that Verizon took away the controls, so we can't put anyone on moderation anymore.

Donna,

But luckily, I had created a new io group in 2015 (which I never did
anymore with). Now I am having to try to learn how to use it & get it
set up for what members I am able to get moved.
This page gives a quick rundown of a Groups.io group's settings, with advice on their use:
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/wiki/Quick-Start-for-Group-Formation

Not sure if I can move the whole list, since there are over 4000
members.
What Rick said. That chrome app (free) is a good way to download your Yahoo Group's entire membership list, though it is a bit technical to set up and use.

Another way to do it is with PG Offline ($25) - it can no longer download any of other content of your group (since Yahoo has blocked user access) but the membership download function should still work.
http://www.personalgroupware.com

But the most concerning problem I am having right now, is that I can't
see how to get new applicants to write something to me before I
approve them.
This starts with the Restricted Membership checkbox in the Spam Control section of the group's Settings page. In addition to what Rick said, here's another helpful page:

One thing to note is that if you Invite or Direct Add members from your downloaded Yahoo Group list those members won't need to apply - and won't be sent the Pending notice. Invitees need only accept the invitation to be added to the group. People you Direct Add don't need to do anything.

Shal
https://GroupManagersForum.groups.io

noahddark@juno.com

Hey, everyone.

I am just now seeing your replies to my message.  Didn't go to my Inbox, so apparently I need to adjust a setting.  Also, I confess I've been really distracted from this by the impeachment. Now I am REALLY down to the wire.
If I can get help at least retrieving the member list to transfer to io, that would be a huge relief.  I'm afraid the technicalities will be over my head.  Thank you for all the good advice.
Now I'm going to check out those settings.

Donna

noahddark@juno.com

I checked, & my membership is set to receive individual emails.  Checked my email acct. & they are not being blocked or flagged as spam.
All I know for sure, is that I have not received any of the replies to my original msg.  Am I missing something?
Donna

Donna,

Didn't go to my Inbox, so apparently I need to adjust a setting.
cc'ing your address, just in case.

Now I am REALLY down to the wire.
You have roughly 28 hours to make your Get My Data request to Yahoo, if you haven't done so already.

Note: the data download won't include any member lists.

If I can get help at least retrieving the member list to transfer to
io, that would be a huge relief.
If you have 1000 or fewer members you can export your Y!Group member list directly from the Manage Members page in your Yahoo Group.

If you have more than that then you need a tool like the Chrome application (free, see link below) or PG Offline ($25) to get all of it.
http://yahoogroupedia.pbworks.com/

Then comes the question of what to do with it all. One answer is here:
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/wiki/Moving-to-Groups.io

Shal