Topics

No place to hide

Steve Hayes

So it looks as though the hope that groups.io would provide a sanctuary for
refugees from the YahooGroups debacle was misplaced.

At first it offered something like the pre-2014 YahooGroups, but now it has
been reduced to the severely truncated version of October 2019 to December
2020. Perhaps we are all victims of internet entropy.

So perhaps it's time to say goodbye to everyone left on YahooGroups and warn
them that there is nowhere to flee to, and how long before groups.io goes the
same way?

--
Steve Hayes
E-mail: shayes@...

Nightowl >8#

Steve Hayes wrote:>>So it looks as though the hope that groups.io would provide a sanctuary for refugees from the YahooGroups debacle was misplaced. At first it offered something like the pre-2014 YahooGroups, but now it has been reduced to the severely truncated version of October 2019 to December 2020. Perhaps we are all victims of internet entropy.<<

If what you mean is that it's not free anymore, like Yahoo was, that is understandable. We were all so lucky to have Yahoo groups for free for as long as we had it. Nothing great is usually free, but man, Classic Groups were.

And we got spoiled. It was nice to have something for free, but times have changed. I admit, not everyone can afford Mark's new prices. If I had to, I'd be in trouble, because I can't. My groups including this one, are grandfathered in.

But for the monthly price, of what was it, $20.00 a month for groups.io? That's not a bad price for what all the paid version offers from what I gather. It's a matter of choice, how much you want a group, how much you need from a group, etc.

Steve wrote:>> So perhaps it's time to say goodbye to everyone left on YahooGroups and warn them that there is nowhere to flee to, and how long before groups.io goes the same way?<<

You can say goodbye to everyone from Yahoo Groups if you choose, I plan to stay right here and stay in touch with them. And I don't believe groups.io will go the same way as long as there are people willing to pay for it.

What was it that someone on MM used to say, "Yahoooey...you get what you paid for... ZERO." Can't remember who that was.

They sure proved that right, didn't they?

Brenda

David Halfpenny

On 19 Oct 2020, at 09:43, Nightowl >8# <featheredleader@...> wrote:

Steve Hayes wrote:>>So it looks as though the hope that groups.io would provide a sanctuary for refugees from the YahooGroups debacle was misplaced.

If what you mean is that it's not free anymore, like Yahoo was, that is understandable.

 I admit, not everyone can afford Mark's new prices.

I’d cheerfully pay Mark an All-Group subscription.
My problem is that I can’t afford to pay separately for each individual group I used to admin.

Fortunately, the last year has demonstrated that Email Only works fine for me.
I realise it won’t for people who used the full range of Yahoo facilities.

The thing that would kill Groups.io for me would be if it stopped storing email attachments (something that Yahoo did for many years).

David 1/2d

Andy

Steve wrote, "So perhaps it's time to say goodbye to everyone left on YahooGroups and warn them that there is nowhere to flee to ..."

What?  Why do you say that?

Isn't there Groups.io?

It's FREE.

Groups.io IS free -- it has a free tier -- and the free level gives you the same functionality (and more) that Yahoo!Groups has today.  Which is, it's an email message reflector, with no permanent storage for Files and Photos.  For new groups, you only need to pay if you need separate Files and Photos sections, that is, having them separate from Attachments (where they are still free).  What's more, Groups.io gives you something that Yahoo!Groups does not have: permanent storage of messages, and permanent storage of Attached Files and Photos.  This makes Groups.io BETTER than Yahoo!Groups is today, for the same price!

And if you created your Groups.io group before August 2020, then you have the separate Files and Photos sections for free too, which makes it functionally equivalent to the features of Yahoo!Groups in its heyday, for free.

If you didn't create your Groups.io before August 2020, then you weren't paying attention when Yahoo pulled the rug out from under you in 2019 and erased all your archived messages and files.  If that didn't matter to you then, then the FREE tier from Groups.io should suit you just fine!

To me, that IS an alternative.  It's a very good alternative.  It is a place to flee to.

I manage a few groups on Groups.io and I'm happy enough with it.  There are some annoyances, for sure, from the Moderator's viewpoint, but regular users for the most part don't see that.

Andy

Steve Hayes

On 19 Oct 2020 at 7:58, Andy wrote:

Steve wrote, "So perhaps it's time to say goodbye to everyone left on
YahooGroups and warn them that there is nowhere to flee to ..."

What? Why do you say that?

Isn't there Groups.io?

It's FREE.
Yes it is, for now.

I know what it offers now, and what it used to offer.

And I know what Yahoo offers now, until December, and what it used to offer.

And I understand why groups.io might have to reduce what it offers in the
face of another influx of refugees from YahooGroups -- disk space costs
money, bandwidth costs money, and there has to be a source of income to keep
it going.

Yahoo had a source of income to keep services going because they offered a
variety of services and could attract advertising revenue. They mismanaged
it, failed to understand what made their operation successful and messed it
up. Yahoo had a record of taking over niche operations, messing them up, and
then abandoning them.

But I wonder if going back to a niche operation like mailing lists will be
successful in the long run. I hope it is, but I fear that it might not be,
and that will mean that those who use those services will have nowhere to run
to.

That's all.

--
Steve Hayes
E-mail: shayes@...
Blog: https://methodius.blogspot.com/
Phone: 083-342-3563 or 012-333-6727
Fax: 086-548-2525

Steve,

But I wonder if going back to a niche operation like mailing lists will be
successful in the long run. I hope it is, but I fear that it might not be,
and that will mean that those who use those services will have nowhere to run
to.

The best way to ensure that Groups.io is always a place to run to, is to help pay for it.

"My advice has always been that if you want to see GIO stay around, then upgrade to a premium group. That's the best way to show support. That goes for any service, not just us, btw."
Mark Fletcher, beta #22467.

If your group can't afford Premium for a year, perhaps you can afford one month of Premium once a year, or however often suits your circumstances.

It is true that about the only Premium feature you can use practically on an intermittent basis is Direct Add, but some types of groups might have the equivalent of Membership drives. For example I personally paid for a month or two of Premium for my PTA group each year just so that I can direct-add the new parents each Fall rather than having to track invitations. With a few hundred new members each year the reduced effort was worth it to me.

Your circumstances may not include such an obvious advantage/motivation, or an ability to pay, but it is something to consider if you want to be proactive about supporting a service that you would regret losing.

Yahoo had a source of income to keep services going because they offered a
variety of services and could attract advertising revenue.

Brenda and all of the supporters of Mods and Members fought the good fight, but ultimately I believe that they couldn't overcome the question of motivation: how to convince someone else to pay for the specific service you want, when all they want is your eyeballs (and they believe there are more efficient ways to collect eyeballs). With Groups.io the situation is much more directly in our own control: either we the users pay for it, or we don't.

Shal

kr402

My two cents worth.
You won't find hands on owner participation anywhere else.
For those that don't want to pay Mark deserves something
for all his hard work.

KR