Topics

observation on pricing (was: question)

Simon Hedges

David wrote:

I only had one paid-for group, and we’ve downgraded that because we don’t need the Premium features.

To fund the first year and transfer, our members Paypalled-in donations.

Once we’ve filled the Data allowance, we’ll need an annual appeal.

I fear that, unless Mark has a lot of Business customers, his income could nose-dive this autumn.

<<

And I worry that if his income dives, groups.io will fail and close.  I moved 4 groups (with a number of subgroups) across from yahoogroups last year.  They are legacy groups that are used mainly for reference purposes and their archives now.  I’d be content to pay $220 a year across all of them, but $880 is just too much.  I plan to keep one of them as premium in order to provide Mark with an income, but am letting the other 3 go to free.  However, I would prefer the situation regularised.  I just worry that the whole thing isn’t sustainable with the massive drop off in subscription income that groups.io will experience this autumn.

Simon

Let's reach out to Mark and find out!

His relatively small operation a year ago was flooded with payments to rescue our archives and I'm willing to be that he's been responsible with that  pile of cash knowing that in a year it won't be as much.

He also mentioned at the end of last year that his was going to revisit pricing so there's more options, so we need to find out his latest thoughts on that.

In my case I spent the big bucks to rescue the two most important yahoogroup archives and groups.io  just got downgraded this week when payment didn't go through. These accounts are near inactive, but the archives represent 20 years of daily history that I will do all I can to permanently preserve way past my lifetime. Suspect others like myself would be interested in a legacy type membership that ensures that the data is not ever lost. Beyond that I"ve not much need for other groups.io features and services.

How about all the other Yahoogroup refugees? What are your needs?

Diane Arthurs

One of my very small card making and swapping groups has moved to facebook (which I really don’t like.)  because I just missed Mark’s cut-off date. Moving the group was on my to-do list and I’m still mad at myself for procrastinating.  The other two were moved from Yahoo to groups.io last year.

Diane in Canada