On COPYRIGHT AND FAIR DEALING

Nightowl >8#

Okay everyone,

I am completely confused at this point, as to what people are seeing when trying to read the article on the London Telegraph.

I only had to give an e-mail address and password, and was given access to that one article only so far.

David apparently had to give more info than that, including name, address, & payment details.

How about people in here tell me what they had to do, if they went ahead and registered to read the article.

My concern with either David or anyone else putting the article in here was that I had consulted with Olivia and she had directed me to contact the Syndication Dept. I have done that, citing exceptions listed on their site, but I do not know yet if they agree. I am still working on this. I wish I could call them, but sweetie frowns on me calling the UK. ;)

Nightowl >8#

Elizabeth McKenzie

All I had to do was give my email address and maybe name.  I didn't try to read any other articles and I don't remember being asked for anything else after that.

Elizabeth

On Thu, Oct 31, 2019 at 5:37 PM Nightowl >8# <featheredleader@...> wrote:
Okay everyone,

I am completely confused at this point, as to what people are seeing when trying to read the article on the London Telegraph.

I only had to give an e-mail address and password, and was given access to that one article only so far.

David apparently had to give more info than that, including name, address, & payment details.

How about people in here tell me what they had to do, if they went ahead and registered to read the article.

My concern with either David or anyone else putting the article in here was that I had consulted with Olivia and she had directed me to contact the Syndication Dept. I have done that, citing exceptions listed on their site, but I do not know yet if they agree. I am still working on this. I wish I could call them, but sweetie frowns on me calling the UK. ;)

Nightowl >8#

Robert Hare

Name and address here as well, Brenda (although I was *offered* the opportunity [not required] to go 'premium' if I care to).

Bob Hare aka AGM

On Thu, Oct 31, 2019 at 4:42 PM Elizabeth McKenzie <efmckenzie@...> wrote:
[...]

David Halfpenny

On 31 Oct 2019, at 21:37, Nightowl >8# <featheredleader@...> wrote:

Okay everyone,

I am completely confused at this point, as to what people are seeing when trying to read the article on the London Telegraph.

I only had to give an e-mail address and password, and was given access to that one article only so far.

David apparently had to give more info than that, including name, address, & payment details.

I’m confused too because, after seeing the first few lines of the article, then giving an email address and password, I was asked this:

which I completed, but backed-out of the Payment page.

But despite that, a few hours later, I received this email:

and was suddenly able to read it!

It could be a Location thing.
Just as Americans are locked out of watching BBC catch-up TV, it may be that Americans are not expected to pay for British newspapers?

The main things to me are:

- Well done Brenda!

- We want to stay legal, and not undermine the writers and newspapers who support us.

- We also want to read Olivia's article.

- Few if any of us want or need a paid subscription to the Telegraph.

David

How about people in here tell me what they had to do, if they went ahead and registered to read the article.

My concern with either David or anyone else putting the article in here was that I had consulted with Olivia and she had directed me to contact the Syndication Dept. I have done that, citing exceptions listed on their site, but I do not know yet if they agree. I am still working on this. I wish I could call them, but sweetie frowns on me calling the UK. ;)

Nightowl >8#

kr402

Ok, here is what I just did.
It asked for email / password.
I entered my email and made up a password.
Next it asked for my first and last name for commenting.
I did not enter them and it let me skip that and gave me the full article to read.
Everyone else should be able to do the same.

I did not really want a password with them as I do not plan on using it other
than this once to read the article, but it is typical of online newspapers. I cannot
read my own home town newspaper articles online because I do not subscribe
to it.

Even with copyright laws I would think you should be able to share an article
with someone that asked you for it. I mean an individual person, not posting
it in in a group.

KR

Nightowl >8#

On Thu, Oct 31, 2019 at 11:40 PM, kr402 wrote:>>Even with copyright laws I would think you should be able to share an article with someone that asked you for it. I mean an individual person, not posting
it in in a group. <<

I agree. I read it to my 89 year old Mother who doesn't know anything about computers. If people want to share it amongst themselves in an off-site manner, of course I cannot stop that, I can only discourage it. But until I get an answer, don't share it or discuss sharing it on any online group.

Thanks everyone!

Owner/Moderator MMSanctuary

Wendi Sotis

I remember only giving them my email address and a password for the free account. I was able to read the entire article.

Wendi