Shal, a question about message headers

Nightowl >8#

Edited

Shal,

You once helped me understand the difference between a Yahoo post sent from e-mail vs the same copy I received back by looking at the headers.

Now I have mail coming and going from both from e-mail (Yahoo) and on site (groups.io), and I'm trying to tell which post from groups.io Beta, & Hollow Tree, are the ones I received back, when they both got inadvertantly moved into the same folder

Is there a code or indicator that tells them apart like you told me about with Yahoo?

(sigh) I wish I could get out of Yahoo altogether,,,but not yet.

Brenda

Brenda,

Now I have mail both from e-mail (Yahoo) and on site (groups.io), and
I'm trying to tell which post is the one I received back, when they both
got inadvertantly moved into the same place.

Is there a code or indicator that tells them apart like you told me
about with Yahoo?
To tell quickly I often scroll to the bottom of the message: do I see group footers or not. For what its worth I usually keep both (the sent and the returned) in the same folder, with separate folders for each group.

However I have the additional advantage that in my email client's message lists have a "status" column. Sent messages are marked with a check mark and their row italicized. Makes it easy to tell them apart from the returned messages which are marked with either a bullet (unread), blank (read), or arrow (replied).

In the message header there are a lot of fields added to returned messages. Most notable is:

But that's inconvenient to go find by eye, so not much use unless your email client lets you filter by arbitrary header fields (mine does).

-- Shal

Nightowl >8#

Shal Farley wrote:>>Brenda, To tell quickly I often scroll to the bottom of the message: do I see group footers or not. For what its worth I usually keep both (the sent and the returned) in the same folder, with separate folders for each group.<<

I actually only want to keep one copy, the one that gets sent back to me.

Shal wrote:>> However I have the additional advantage that in my email client's message lists have a "status" column. Sent messages are marked with a check mark and their row italicized. Makes it easy to tell them apart from the returned messages which are marked with either a bullet (unread), blank (read), or arrow (replied).<<

Hmmm. I'm using Thunderbird and it seems that I have the option for a status message. I'll talk to John about it after he gets off work.

Shal wrote:>>In the message header there are a lot of fields added to returned messages.
Most notable is: List-Id: <MMsanctuary.groups.io><<

I found that in the header! I also noticed something else, before, when getting mail from Yahoo and sending mail to Yahoo, the mail TO Yahoo, always had much shorter header space. I noticed the same thing about Groups.io mail. So can I achieve the same thing by just checking to see which copy has full headers?

Thanks Shal, let me know!

Brenda

Brenda,

Hmmm. I'm using Thunderbird and it seems that I have the option for a
status message. I'll talk to John about it after he gets off work.
For all of Thunderbird's power and flexibility, I'm surprised it doesn't seem to make this easy.

I also noticed something else, before, when getting mail from Yahoo and
sending mail to Yahoo, the mail TO Yahoo, always had much shorter header
space. I noticed the same thing about Groups.io mail. So can I achieve
the same thing by just checking to see which copy has full headers?
A lot of fields get added to a message header on its way out and back again, so yes the returned message will have many more fields than the sent one. The List-ID is just the tip of the iceberg, so to speak.

Another to look at is the Message-ID. In groups.io there's a profile option "I always want copies of my own messages" that will cause returned messages to have groups.io in the Message-ID rather than the domain of your email service. I think the Message-ID even shows in the preview pane, so you don't have to Ctrl+U the message to read the source.

-- Shal

Nightowl >8#

Shal Farley wrote:>> For all of Thunderbird's power and flexibility, I'm surprised it doesn't seem to make this easy.<<

It might do just that, but Thunderbird and I have a...well, communication problem. ;) Everytime I try to arrange folders or move things in the mail folders, they disappear or worse. Today I managed to somehow move my ENTIRE folder of Crusade mail into the trash! Fortunately, John rescued it. WHEW.

I'm only going to let HIM configure and arrange Tbird from now on.

Shal wrote:>>A lot of fields get added to a message header on its way out and back again,
so yes the returned message will have many more fields than the sent one. The List-ID is just the tip of the iceberg, so to speak.<<

That works then. I used to put it on view full headers and determine which was from Sent and which was received. I can do that again. Maybe tomorrow John can look at the status column for me. I think he had enough after I trashed my entire crusade mail folder with mail from 2013. ;)

Thank goodness he rescued it!

And I always want copies of my own mail,, but I only wanted to keep the one that was sent to me, for the group archive. I wanted to always delete the "sent" one. And I never had that problem until Neo, because I never had to do any of this in mail until then.

Thanks Shal,

Brenda