Strange Things Afoot in Yahoo Groups?


Nightowl >8#
 

Hey everyone,

I'm over at Mom's house and logged into Mods & Members, but when I went to make a post there, there was no button for New Topic anymore.

Then I went to the Conversations tab and clicked a post to reply to... there was no button for reply either.

That is bonkers.

I'm sending this via e-mail.

Would someone please check out Mods and Members and see if you see those buttons?

Thanks.

BTW if you need me today you need to post in here or e-mail the owlsy AT Yahoo DOT com e-mail address.

Brenda


Joan nyc/az.
 

they don't seem to want new messages. they think this is a crazy version of twitter. we should write to each other, via email.   

That is why I encouraged everyone to come to a group. I have a feeling, we would have to cc everyone in order to hold a conversation. 



Sincerely,
Joan
nyc/phx.az


For adoptees/parents/Siblings searching:




On Wednesday, December 4, 2019, 02:51:31 PM MST, Nightowl >8# <featheredleader@...> wrote:


Hey everyone,

I'm over at Mom's house and logged into Mods & Members, but when I went to make a post there, there was no button for New Topic anymore.

Then I went to the Conversations tab and clicked a post to reply to... there was no button for reply either.

That is bonkers.

I'm sending this via e-mail.

Would someone please check out Mods and Members and see if you see those buttons?

Thanks.

BTW if you need me today you need to post in here or e-mail the owlsy AT Yahoo DOT com e-mail address.

Brenda



Kat/Selina
 

My only insight into what might be happening is that someone made mention that this could be a delayed action from Yahoo or Verizon.  When they initially made the announcement (that groups was going to shut down), they said that by late October, you would not be able to submit new content (as in reply or post a new thread) to any groups. It never happened in all of November, so maybe they are just getting to it here in December.


Joan nyc/az.
 

I went into my groups and the new topic button is gone.  I think they think we should be emailing members to keep in touch. 

I"m glad I got all my members, (for the most part off the groups and moved over. ) 

sincerely,
Joan 


Mahendra Bakshi
 

Yes, you are right, I do not see any button for new message .  However, if you are an Owner or a Moderator, you can go to Manage Members, display members and select members to whom you want to send a message, then you will get a screen for entering the text and you can send the message, you get a confirmation that message was sent.  I did this bysending a message to two Moderators and have asked them to let me know if this works.


On Wednesday, December 4, 2019, 4:51:31 PM EST, Nightowl >8# <featheredleader@...> wrote:


Hey everyone,

I'm over at Mom's house and logged into Mods & Members, but when I went to make a post there, there was no button for New Topic anymore.

Then I went to the Conversations tab and clicked a post to reply to... there was no button for reply either.

That is bonkers.

I'm sending this via e-mail.

Would someone please check out Mods and Members and see if you see those buttons?

Thanks.

BTW if you need me today you need to post in here or e-mail the owlsy AT Yahoo DOT com e-mail address.

Brenda



 

Brenda,

That is bonkers.
I agree with Kat, perhaps it is merely late.

Many interpreted the Oct. 28th date as including a cutoff of making posts via the web. Equating New Topic and Reply to uploading new content. I wasn't sure, but it seems plausible.

Going forward it is post by email, read by email.

Shal


Steve Hayes
 

On 4 Dec 2019 at 22:57, Shal Farley wrote:

Brenda,

> That is bonkers.

I agree with Kat, perhaps it is merely late.

Many interpreted the Oct. 28th date as including a cutoff of making
posts via the web. Equating New Topic and Reply to uploading new
content. I wasn't sure, but it seems plausible.

Going forward it is post by email, read by email.
That is my understanding -- that one could post things via the web until end
October, retrieve them till 14 Dec, but then it would be a mailing list only,
though how long they will support that is doubtful, since running list
servers won't generate any income for them.

--
Steve Hayes
E-mail: shayes@...
Blog: http://khanya.wordpress.com
Web: http://www.khanya.org.za/stevesig.htm
Phone: 083-342-3563 or 012-333-6727
Fax: 086-548-2525


Robert Hare
 

Both are true in ALL of the groups I founded/own/moderate alone or in conjunction with others. It also does not seem to matter to 'age' of a group. Even 'mewborn' groups are similarly affected. Yet *another* snafu is that, once again, cover art is a hit or miss (some groups it displays and in (most) it does not and in ALL groups we can not change the cover art. For example, I recently assumed maintenance for another ~18 groups in the past week, and created brilliant colorful artwork banners for each and today I went to replace them and can do so in no groups whatsoever. Yes, Yahell you are truly being a corporate douche bag extraordinaire to the very end ...

--
Robert (Bob) Hare aka Animated GIF Man
animatedgifman.1280@...

On 12/4/2019 3:51 PM, Nightowl >8# wrote:
Hey everyone,

I'm over at Mom's house and logged into Mods & Members, but when I went to make a post there, there was no button for New Topic anymore.

Then I went to the Conversations tab and clicked a post to reply to... there was no button for reply either.

That is bonkers.

I'm sending this via e-mail.

Would someone please check out Mods and Members and see if you see those buttons?

Thanks.

BTW if you need me today you need to post in here or e-mail the owlsy AT Yahoo DOT com e-mail address.

Brenda


.


David Halfpenny
 


On 5 Dec 2019, at 07:47, Steve Hayes <hayesstw@...> wrote:

On 4 Dec 2019 at 22:57, Shal Farley wrote:

(after)  14 Dec, . . . it would be a mailing list only, 
though how long they will support that is doubtful, since running list
servers won't generate any income for them.

Groups would be an ‘email accessory’, Steve, with whatever benefits to Yahoo that they get from running email servers.

I have several @yahoo.co.uk addresses because they work so well with Yahoo Groups (here, anyway).
If the Yahoo Groups go, I’ll be out of Yahoo altogether.

David
England


Joan nyc/az.
 

yahoo took the New topic button off. Its supposed to be email only. 

there isn't going to be any threads soon at the way they are going. 

I managed to be able to send a message through by hitting reply at the bottom of a message in the email area. 

Not sure how long that will last.  I keep telling members to come to the new group, so we can conduct our searches and guidance and helping members.  

sincerely,
Joan 


Joan nyc/az.
 

now to be able to communicate one needs to open the message in the email area, and hit reply to the one you want to answer.  
vs, being able to do anything in the (groups) as we know it. 



Sincerely,
Joan
nyc/phx.az


For adoptees/parents/Siblings searching:




On Wednesday, December 4, 2019, 06:25:02 PM MST, Joan nyc/az. <joan85032@...> wrote:


I went into my groups and the new topic button is gone.  I think they think we should be emailing members to keep in touch. 

I"m glad I got all my members, (for the most part off the groups and moved over. ) 

sincerely,
Joan 


David Halfpenny
 

Joan,

I haven’t grasped exactly what you mean, but try taking a look from the other end of the telescope:

Until now there have been two types of member:
- Full members, who can use the website and email
- People who joined by emailing-in, and have never seen the website facilities. (Large numbers don’t even know the website’s there.)

As far as Yahoo is concerned, as they’ve simply moved the full members into the email-only category, all the Posting should carry on as normal.
Indeed all my active Yahoo Groups are carrying on as normal: not one member (out of many thousands) has mentioned that they’ve spotted any difference.

OK, it isn’t what we’re used to, but it still works fine for the vast majority of my members.
For the moment.

David 1/2d

On 5 Dec 2019, at 22:52, Joan nyc/az. via Groups.Io <joan85032@...> wrote:

now to be able to communicate one needs to open the message in the email area, and hit reply to the one you want to answer.  
vs, being able to do anything in the (groups) as we know it. 



Sincerely,
Joan
nyc/phx.az


For adoptees/parents/Siblings searching:




On Wednesday, December 4, 2019, 06:25:02 PM MST, Joan nyc/az. <joan85032@...> wrote:


I went into my groups and the new topic button is gone.  I think they think we should be emailing members to keep in touch. 

I"m glad I got all my members, (for the most part off the groups and moved over. ) 

sincerely,
Joan