Strange Things Afoot in Yahoo Groups? Special Notices?

Robert Hare

Not sure where I read it (but it was on an 'official' Yahoo! answer page of some sort), but once groups go *fully* to "mailing list only" format, the *only* option that will work is INDIVIDUAL emails. People will be given the option of joining a group (by invitation ONLY) and electing individual email delivery A members ONLY other option if they find the email load to burdensome is to LEAVE THE GROUP entirely (which frankly, I have been an advocate of for more than a decade), certainly for the past ~7 years when the NEO monstrosity only gave moderators the choice of either storing attachments (and sending microscopic t-nails out in INDIVIDUAL or DIGEST emails *or* including FULL SIZED images in INDIVIDUAL emails and not storing them on the group. For me, this decision was a "no-brainer". Individual delivery members chose that setting precisely because they *didn't* want to have to go the group web site to get every image that interested them. So I turned of web site storage in ALL my now ~5 dozen groups over 7 years ago and have been managing my groups as "mailing lists" for the overwhelming majority of my memberships. I suspect due to this setting been in place for years, the average member (who has *never* visited the group web site (other than to join said group[s] in a few cases) will see zero readily evident changes come the 15th of December.

Additionally, for the past ~5 1/2 weeks now, I have been been conducting a rather aggressive purge, removing 'dead weight' in ALL my groups: (everyone on NO MAIL or SPECIAL NOTICES ONLY has already been purged. everyone 'hard' bouncing, everyone who had ever had posting ability turned off, everyone listed on a master list of know trouble makers, email address harvesters, known $pammers, chronic off-topic posters, etc.) ... Lastly, everyone remaining who was set to DIGEST has been switched to INDIVIDUAL delivery, and everyone previously on unmoderated posting status has been (temporarily) switched back to group default (moderator approval required). Once I see someone is a contributing on-topic member, they will hopefully 'permanently' be switch to unmoderated status (freeing up work for me or my moderation team).  I see these actions as both necessary and beneficial (to both parties). I will have less to do once the switch-over is done and members who remain will have less of a learning curve having been on what amounts to mailing lists for years. I have already cleared out ~37,000+ inactive or apathetic members in the past month or so (with my four largest groups still left to purge) out of a previous membership total of ~395,000 members in all. In most all my groups, this has resulted in a ~15-25% reduction in memberships, but now all the remaining members are 'good to go' once the groups switch to mailing lists entirely.

So to answer Wendi's question, the SPECIAL NOTICES ONLY option will *not* remain available (and as others have previously suggested may already, in fact, be gone).

Bob Hare aka Animated GIF Man
animatedgifman.1280@...

On 12/6/2019 7:29 AM, 'Wendi Sotis' wendi5@... [modsandmembers] wrote:

Yahoo is an email-only listserv now. No messages can be sent from the group page ever again. (Very sad!) If you were able to do it after October 28th, I believe it was only because Verizon didn’t get around to taking it away yet. The only way to reply or start a new topic from here on it will be through your email program.

I was hoping they’d keep the “special notice” ability. If they did, I can’t find it. What’s the use of keeping that membership option if we can’t send one?

Wendi

wendi5@...

__._,_.___

Posted by: "Wendi Sotis" <wendi5@...>

.

__,_._,___

Robert,

Once I see someone is a contributing on-topic member, they will
hopefully 'permanently' be switch to unmoderated status (freeing up
work for me or my moderation team).
If your goal is to minimize moderation effort by having most members unmoderated, and only new members moderated until you've decided they're ok, then my recommendations would be:

1) In Moderation tab of the Control Panel select "Moderated for new members". That setting causes members to start with their Posting Privilege set to "Override - posts are moderated".

2) When you decide a person is worthy of being unmoderated, set his/her Posting Privileges to "Default Group Policy". This has the effect of making the person unmoderated so long as your group's Moderation is set to either "Moderated for new members" or "Unmoderated".

3) Reserve "Override - post are not moderated" for very few, if any, highly trusted moderators and/or members, as you won't be able to use (4) to reign them in.

4) If a flame war or other disturbance breaks out you can temporarily set the group's Moderation to "Moderated". This will hold messages from every member set to "Default Group Policy" - which should be nearly all members.

Shal

David Halfpenny

Excellent advice that has served me well for many years.

Moderation is not a punishment for actual or predicted bad behaviour. It is ‘time out” to negotiate a better outcome.
The vast bulk of members are completely unaware of the process going on below the surface.

I’d add to (1) - (4)

5) Use the Moderator message facility to negotiate changes to inflammatory messages - an angry sender has often calmed down by then.

6) Occasionally, the best thing to do is edit a post unilaterally.
It’s what newspaper editors do.
I have a clause on each group that “messages may be edited for brevity or courtesy”.

In every case where a member has said that being put on Moderation is an insult they won’t tolerate, it’s been somebody I’ve been happy to see leave :-)

David 1/2d

Robert,