We have over 7000 views on the blog already! - Workaround for PG Offline v4.0.902* '2-factor authentication' failure messages!!

Robert Hare

That's *awesome*, Brenda!

Forgive me for 'piggybacking' on your message, but I figured with the subject line popularity, my own message might get read by more people (Time *is* of the essence here!)

To all who have difficulty (some since the night of the 5th of December) in logging into your groups via PG Offline offline reader:
(*NOTE*: Please upgrade the software from v4.0.897 to v4.0.902 within the software first).

To Wilson Logan: Thank you once again for developing this *terrific* utility!

I found that even after upgrading to v4.0.902 I still failed to connect getting Yahoo's completely bogus notice that I entered the 'wrong' username/password combo - OR - I likely had 2-factor identification enabled (neither of which is true).

As to your Personal Groupware blog (still waiting for your acceptance of: animatedgifman agmscans.6318@... (or animatedgifman.1280@... ) so I can post to the blog, please.

I wished for ALL PG Offline users to know that I had terrific success overcoming this login failure by using a VPN (I use WindScribe which accords me ~50 GBs of bandwidth at high speeds for free) and logging in on their Canada EAST location. Note: Canada WEST failed to fix the problem as did every USA VPN IP# I tried, but as I said, Yahoo! servers seemed to really like the taste of Canada East. I've been able to resume downloads of all group data from 4 1/2 dozen groups I manage (nearly 1/3 of a million members will probably be quite happy and surprised in a week or two (or maybe longer if our efforts *here* are successful!) to find I can hook them up with their archives intact! :-)

Hopefully this 'workaround' will be of benefit to the Archive Warriors who seem 'stuck' at this point.

To Brenda: I was thinking off the top of my head today, but do you know anyone familiar with the EU's new DMCA (and Privacy Act) equivalents they now have in effect (forget its acronym at the moment). What about that British Telephone company possibly suing for an emergency injunction to stop Yahoo! (UK?) from closing the groups on the premise that in destroying the groups (archives) they are in effect adversely affecting or even destroying their intellectual property and/or ability to function as a company?

Here are my before/after upgrade of PG Offline and trying with and without both Canada WEST (and finally Canada EAST WindScribe VPN IP #'s).

Canada WEST

Canada EAST

Thankfully, this is a (repeatable) success (connecting with Canada EAST VPN), as here is from earlier still:
Canada EAST

I do hope this information can help whoever is still trying desperately to salvage what we can. I have a ~1/3 of a million wishing me the best ...

--
Always with respect ...

Robert (Bob) Hare aka Animated GIF Man

On 12/8/2019 6:27 PM, Brenda owlsy@... [modsandmembers] wrote:
Wow. We have really made contact! Thank you Hacker News wherever you
are, and thanks to all the other people referring and calling and
tweeting and e-mailing for us.

I'm pretty busy with my Mom & John's Mom today, but I'm checking in
whenever I can.

If you noticed a change of appearance on the Crusade Site, don't worry,
she was trying something different but it didn't work for me, it was too
much like NEO, so right now so I can use it.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate Kat and all her hard work as our
Blog editor!

Catch you all later!

Brenda

------------------------------------

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    modsandmembers-digest@...
    modsandmembers-fullfeatured@...

Wilson Logan

Thanks for posting this Bob.

I will re-post in my help forum.

http://www.personalgroupware.com/smf/

My membership approvals are up to date so you should be approved.

Cheers,

Wilson.

[...]

BTW 907 is the latest version:

http://www.personalgroupware.com/groupmanager/pg-offline-4-0-907.zip