Topics

Yahoo groups blowing up as predicted


Delainey Owen
 

One of the groups I'm saving has about a dozen people trying to unsubscribe by hitting Reply All, and at least two who are being rude to the point of profanity and cursing at others (including the group owner, which they were blaming for not blocking the emails flooding their inbox), because in at least one of the cases their email provider threatened to lock their account because of the "unusually high volume of spam".  Someone did send an email detailing how to unsubscribe via email, but most clearly did not read it carefully (as evidenced by their emails to the whole group saying "please unsubscribe"), and one who did follow it said it wasn't working - they were still subscribed.  (I'm at the point of just rolling my eyes at Verizon/Yahoo; their incompetence is stunning in its breadth and depth.)


kr402
 

Unfortunately people have been trying to unsubsribe for years with no luck.
Broken Yahoo!


On Monday, January 20, 2020, 2:20 PM, Delainey Owen via Groups.Io <doranwen@...> wrote:
One of the groups I'm saving has about a dozen people trying to unsubscribe by hitting Reply All, and at least two who are being rude to the point of profanity and cursing at others (including the group owner, which they were blaming for not blocking the emails flooding their inbox), because in at least one of the cases their email provider threatened to lock their account because of the "unusually high volume of spam".  Someone did send an email detailing how to unsubscribe via email, but most clearly did not read it carefully (as evidenced by their emails to the whole group saying "please unsubscribe"), and one who did follow it said it wasn't working - they were still subscribed.  (I'm at the point of just rolling my eyes at Verizon/Yahoo; their incompetence is stunning in its breadth and depth.)
_._,_._,_


 

Delainey,


Someone did send an email detailing how to unsubscribe via email, but most clearly did not read it carefully (as evidenced by their emails to the whole group saying "please unsubscribe"), and one who did follow it said it wasn't working - they were still subscribed.

If it helps, you can point people at this page:

The important fact is that unsubscribe by email is a two step process, and it doesn't take effect until you complete the second step.

It also details how to switch back to Digest, but it is anyone's guess how long that will continue to work.

Shal


Andy
 

As far as I can tell, Unsubscribe still works for all Yahoo groups, WHEN DONE CORRECTLY.

Replying to the group (or to anyone who has ever sent them a message) with "Unsubscribe me!" in the body of the message clearly won't work.  But they seem to think it should.

When someone tries to do it right but it still doesn't work, the likely reason is either (1) they used the email command but did not follow up to confirm, or (2) they used the group's webpage but couldn't remember how to login.

The unfortunate fact is that some folks can't read, or can't be bothered to unsubscribe themselves and expect everyone else to do it for them.  Alas, there is no hope for them, I think.

Andy



Rick Nakroshis <ricknak@...>
 

"Blowing up" sounds entirely too energetic to describe Yahoo Groups.  Perhaps "loudly moaning and groaning as it crumbles under its own weight" might fit better.  😀

Rick


On Mon, Jan 20, 2020 at 5:20 PM Delainey Owen via Groups.Io <doranwen=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
One of the groups I'm saving has about a dozen people trying to unsubscribe by hitting Reply All, and at least two who are being rude to the point of profanity and cursing at others (including the group owner, which they were blaming for not blocking the emails flooding their inbox), because in at least one of the cases their email provider threatened to lock their account because of the "unusually high volume of spam".  Someone did send an email detailing how to unsubscribe via email, but most clearly did not read it carefully (as evidenced by their emails to the whole group saying "please unsubscribe"), and one who did follow it said it wasn't working - they were still subscribed.  (I'm at the point of just rolling my eyes at Verizon/Yahoo; their incompetence is stunning in its breadth and depth.)


Neil Yo
 

Unsubscribe did not work for me.


On Monday, January 20, 2020, Andy <Andy.groups@...> wrote:
As far as I can tell, Unsubscribe still works for all Yahoo groups, WHEN DONE CORRECTLY.

Replying to the group (or to anyone who has ever sent them a message) with "Unsubscribe me!" in the body of the message clearly won't work.  But they seem to think it should.

When someone tries to do it right but it still doesn't work, the likely reason is either (1) they used the email command but did not follow up to confirm, or (2) they used the group's webpage but couldn't remember how to login.

The unfortunate fact is that some folks can't read, or can't be bothered to unsubscribe themselves and expect everyone else to do it for them.  Alas, there is no hope for them, I think.

Andy




--




My signature
A Group Of Mine.
Veg Friendly to All!!!!!!!!!!!


Thomas M
 



Or disintegrating while on life support.  

“Can we rebuild it?”    “heck no!”  Wouldn’t even qualify as a zombi at this point.” 

Get what you can while you can.  

 

On Jan 20, 2020, at 16:32, Rick Nakroshis <ricknak@...> wrote:

"Blowing up" sounds entirely too energetic to describe Yahoo Groups.  Perhaps "loudly moaning and groaning as it crumbles under its own weight" might fit better.  😀

Rick

On Mon, Jan 20, 2020 at 5:20 PM Delainey Owen via Groups.Io <doranwen=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
One of the groups I'm saving has about a dozen people trying to unsubscribe by hitting Reply All, and at least two who are being rude to the point of profanity and cursing at others (including the group owner, which they were blaming for not blocking the emails flooding their inbox), because in at least one of the cases their email provider threatened to lock their account because of the "unusually high volume of spam".  Someone did send an email detailing how to unsubscribe via email, but most clearly did not read it carefully (as evidenced by their emails to the whole group saying "please unsubscribe"), and one who did follow it said it wasn't working - they were still subscribed.  (I'm at the point of just rolling my eyes at Verizon/Yahoo; their incompetence is stunning in its breadth and depth.)




 

Neil,

Unsubscribe did not work for me.
That statement doesn't help anyone, it doesn't have enough info to understand why.

What did you do, and what did or did not happen thereafter?

In particular, what Andy said: "... but did not follow up to confirm" - did you?

Shal


kr402
 

sorry I have to disagree with you this has been a known broken problem with Yahoo, for many years.
It is probably like many Ygroup issues some things work for some and not for others. Eg, I lost all
moderator controls all long time ago, they just disappeared and never returned. Luckily my co owner 
still had them.


On Monday, January 20, 2020, 6:23 PM, Andy <Andy.groups@...> wrote:

As far as I can tell, Unsubscribe still works for all Yahoo groups, WHEN DONE CORRECTLY.

Replying to the group (or to anyone who has ever sent them a message) with "Unsubscribe me!" in the body of the message clearly won't work.  But they seem to think it should.

When someone tries to do it right but it still doesn't work, the likely reason is either (1) they used the email command but did not follow up to confirm, or (2) they used the group's webpage but couldn't remember how to login.

The unfortunate fact is that some folks can't read, or can't be bothered to unsubscribe themselves and expect everyone else to do it for them.  Alas, there is no hope for them, I think.

Andy._,_._,_


David Halfpenny
 


On 21 Jan 2020, at 02:23, Andy <Andy.groups@...> wrote:

The unfortunate fact is that some folks can't read, or can't be bothered to unsubscribe themselves and expect everyone else to do it for them. 

Or want the world and his dog to know they are having a screaming-toddler tantrum.

Alas, there is no hope for them, I think.

Maybe not hope, but there are 
"Remove from group" and  
"Ban members” commands 
on the Manage Members Actions drop-down.

Using those may take less Moderator time than careful explanation.

There are certainly millions - possibly billions - of people who genuinely lack the ability to go through a set of unfamiliar steps that involve switching between two ‘windows' - even on a desktop, let alone a standard resolution laptop, any kind of tablet, or a pocket cellphone.
Remember, it wasn’t that way when they first subscribed.
 
David


Andy
 

re: "this has been a known broken problem with Yahoo, for many years."

I have been a Moderator for many years, and this has never been a "known broken problem with Yahoo"!

But it's been a known problem that some people can't (or don't want to) follow instructions.  When they don't follow the steps, it doesn't work.  When they do, it works.  I have hand-held people through the simple steps, and invariably it works when they do.  They usually say something like, "Oh, I never did that step!" when the thing they didn't do, was one of the clear instructions.

It's a cop-out to say that Yahoo is broken.  About this, it is not.  This is something that has, to the best of my knowledge, always worked.

There are a few times when Yahoo is SLOW about unsubscribing someone, where the messages continue to flow for a few hours, even a day or two, after someone has unsubscribed from a group.  That's because their servers are worldwide and it doesn't happen instantaneously; messages may still be in the queue and not catch up for a few hours.

Andy



Andy
 

David Halfpenny wrote:

There are certainly millions - possibly billions - of people who genuinely lack the ability to go through a set of unfamiliar steps that involve switching between two ‘windows' - even on a desktop, let alone a standard resolution laptop, any kind of tablet, or a pocket cellphone.

That's a good point.  They may have subscribed years ago on a desktop at the office, and now are trying to unsubscribe from a cellphone.

It's surprising how many people have no recollection of having subscribed themselves in the first place.  Yes it can happen that something else (such as a computer "bot") subscribed them in the first place, but in my experience, those are rare with Yahoo!Groups.  The vast majority of people who are subscribed to Yahoo!Groups (as many as 100%), got there only by subscribing themselves, probably by clicking on a link and then following the steps.  But then years later they can't remember having done that.  Or they don't want to admit to it.  I've seen a few who insisted they didn't, at first, until I reminded them about when it happened, and then said, "Oh yes, now I remember that I was interested in that subject at the time."  (I moderate a few technical groups where you have to be interested in the subject material to want to join it.  Invariably, they actually were or still are interested.)

Andy



Elizabeth McKenzie
 

I belonged to a very large home organizing group that went through something similar. Because there was no longer any moderation, we started receiving porn messages, over 50 a day. After that started, some members started replying that they didn't appreciate that sort of trash in their email. Then some autoreplies kicked in saying they were away from their inboxes.  Then members who had been on digest started asking why they were getting all this junk all of a sudden. Then, trying to be helpful, a few said that since the moderator couldn't be reached, there was nothing to do but unsubscribe, and a couple explained how to unsubscribe from the group by email. Unfortunately, when we tried to unsubscribe by email, we received a message that there was no group by that name.  And sure enough, when going to the Yahoo Groups page and doing a search, the group no longer existed, but we were still getting the porn messages.  On the 3rd or 4th day after that, when they finally stopped, we got 57 more of them.

I'm curious. Did anyone ever receive a reply from all our messages to Verizon besides a verbatim copy of the notice Yahoo sent out several times?  That's all I got. Stunning incompetence is a perfect description, Delainey. And total disdain for their users.

Elizabeth

On Mon, Jan 20, 2020 at 5:20 PM Delainey Owen via Groups.Io <doranwen=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
One of the groups I'm saving has about a dozen people trying to unsubscribe by hitting Reply All, and at least two who are being rude to the point of profanity and cursing at others (including the group owner, which they were blaming for not blocking the emails flooding their inbox), because in at least one of the cases their email provider threatened to lock their account because of the "unusually high volume of spam".  Someone did send an email detailing how to unsubscribe via email, but most clearly did not read it carefully (as evidenced by their emails to the whole group saying "please unsubscribe"), and one who did follow it said it wasn't working - they were still subscribed.  (I'm at the point of just rolling my eyes at Verizon/Yahoo; their incompetence is stunning in its breadth and depth.)


Nightowl >8#
 

On 1/21/2020 7:26 PM, Elizabeth McKenzie wrote:>>I'm curious. Did anyone ever receive a reply from all our messages to Verizon besides a verbatim copy of the notice Yahoo sent out several times? That's all I got. Stunning incompetence is a perfect description, Delainey. And total disdain for their users.<<

Do you mean a direct reply from Verizon to another user? Because as you know, I was in contact with Verizon for months until they stopped replying to me.

If things settle down with the planning for my Mom's memorial service on Saturday, I'm hoping to make some calls to media again and maybe e-mail the watchdog people and board members. I know I've let things slide, and I'm sorry, I've just been so exhausted by the end of the day sometimes, that I fall asleep on my desk.

Brenda


Elizabeth McKenzie
 

Oh, my goodness, Brenda.  You couldn't be expected to do anything right now but take care of yourself and your family.  You've done so much and we all truly appreciate how difficult the past few months have been for you.  As you know, I went through the same thing not so long ago.

I was just blowing off a little steam and wondered if anyone else got at least a reworded version.

Elizabeth




Do you mean a direct reply from Verizon to another user? Because as you
know, I was in contact with Verizon for months until they stopped
replying to me.

If things settle down with the planning for my Mom's memorial service on
Saturday, I'm hoping to make some calls to media again and maybe e-mail
the watchdog people and board members. I know I've let things slide, and
I'm sorry, I've just been so exhausted by the end of the day sometimes,
that  I fall asleep on my desk.

Brenda