Topics

Yahoogroups to shut down entirely...

Hi everyone,

Did you get the email about the shut down? It bummed me out all day and brought me back to near a year ago when they said they were going to delete archives.

On the bright side, there's plenty of people who refuse to post via groups.io or lists.riseup.net and insist on not changing and they keep sending emails to yahoogroups, so at least that will finally stop. Many of the lists I subscribe to have two separate user bases because of this and I'm looking forward to that no longer annoying me.

Also wondering if people are downgrading their groups.io service now that the $20 a month charges are about to begin? Is there any service you depend on that requires the $20 a month groups.io plan?

Be well, Deane

Steve Hayes

On 15 Oct 2020 at 11:43, Deane wrote:

Hi everyone,

Did you get the email about the shut down? It bummed me out all day and
brought me back to near a year ago when they said they were going to delete
archives.
I didn't, but I've been expecting such a thing ever since they severely
curtailed YahooGroups a year ago.

If anyone hears any more, please let us know. I'm warning my groups that
haven't found a new listserv to do so ASAP.

--
Steve Hayes
E-mail: shayes@...

Andy

Steve wrote, "If anyone hears any more, please let us know."

Go to any Yahoo!Group's webpage.  It will notify you immediately about the change.  There is a link there you can click to get more information.

Andy

Steve,

I received the notice at one of my Yahoo Mail accounts that I (almost) never check. And by "almost" I mean it takes something like this to make me go look.

I've not received it at any of my subscribed non-Yahoo email addresses, including those that own/moderate groups.

If anyone hears any more, please let us know.
There's a help page on the topic:
https://help.yahoo.com/kb/groups/SLN35505.html

Shal

Steve Hayes

On 17 Oct 2020 at 0:32, Shal Farley wrote:

I received the notice at one of my Yahoo Mail accounts that I (almost)
never check. And by "almost" I mean it takes something like this to make me go
look.

I've not received it at any of my subscribed non-Yahoo email addresses,
including those that own/moderate groups.
Thanks... and I found it there too!

I've been expecting such an announcement for a year, ever since they
announced that they were closing the web services. It was the web services
that supported the mailing list, but after they wrecked that neither was of
much use.

--
Steve Hayes
E-mail: shayes@...
Blog: https://methodius.blogspot.com/
Phone: 083-342-3563 or 012-333-6727
Fax: 086-548-2525

FE Baxter

I moved all the groups I moderate to groups.io at the beginning of the year. It was time consuming and confusing for members especially those who were active less often. Facebook groups were established as well since many members use facebook on their smart phones and rarely use email anymore. Sigh. Now there are several places to check for communications (facebook, messenger, text, email) and it is getting to be a admin black hole. More and more, the group activities are on facebook which is much harder for me to moderate. I moderate for two non-profit organizations that are all volunteer including myself so the time all this takes is frustrating.